May 14, 2018

Smile On My Face



I've been struggling in net since returning from an overseas vacation and even before, this season hasn't gone the way I expected.

Part of it is fatigue and lack of focus on my part– we rolled directly into a new season while still finishing off the previous one while the Puck Hawgs changed rinks. We also have a lot of new faces on the roster and it takes time to rebuild the chemistry our team had for many seasons before. I was feeling pretty down about my game and as expected, that showed on the ice– a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Last week we went into the game sitting mid-pack in our division with a 4-2 record which doesn't sound all that bad but I know that both those losses were partly because of my poor play. It's funny how many bad bounces and redirected pucks find their way into the net when you aren't feeling good about your game.

But last Friday was different. Lifted up by the return of one of our all-time best players and a full bench of players, my mood was sunny and I seemed to forget the tired legs, sore groin and grumpy disposition. I felt strong and mobile and was tracking the puck better than I have in a long time. Wouldn't you know it? I played like I belonged out there.

Skating out on some teams highlights the difference to me between goalies and other positions. When I have a bad night skating out it means I might not score or my passes are off line but there's a dozen or so other players out there to cover up my mistakes. When I play in net and I have a bad game, it often means the difference between a win and a loss.

The struggle with confidence and a positive attitude is real for this goalie but somehow I've got to remember how much it can mean to my play and the outcome of a game.